Trump supporters argue that Donald Trump is pro-LGBTQs and will advocate for their rights based on past statements. However, his cabinet picks including the VP-elect Mike Pence show the exact opposite.
- First Amendment Defense Act (FADA) will protect people/businesses who refuse services to LGBTQ individuals.
- The bill’s text says the refusal of service can be based on two beliefs: that marriage “is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman” or “sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage.
- Could mean that unmarried couples could be refused a hotel room or even LGBTQ married couples could be refused the same.
- Already has the support of President-elect Trump.
- Ken Blackwell – head of Transition team. Has compared LGBTQ people to animals.
- Mike Pence – Indiana governor known for plans to defund AIDS research and supports conversion therapy.
- Trump’s list of possible Supreme Court nominees include those who donot support same sex marriage.